Re: [RTTY] AFSK Tips

To: Dave Hachadorian <k6ll@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] AFSK Tips
From: Frank <frankkamp@att.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 11:36:27 -0600
Dave Hachadorian wrote:

Someone had a tip the other day (W4TV?) recommending setting the soundcard output level on the high side, thereby minimizing mic gain on the radio side, keeping unwanted hum and distortion at a minimum. That sounded like a good idea to me.

I thought that was a good idea too. Anytime you can improve the signal to noise ratio by increasing the signal, you are ahead of the game. Or so I thought. Then it ocured to me that normal microphone signals are low level signals and my microphones don't have any hum. Could it be that getting rid of the hum and noise is a better solution than trying to overpower it with signal level?