Re: [RTTY] AFSK Tips

To: "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] AFSK Tips
From: Richard Ferch <ve3iay@storm.ca>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 08:12:53 -0500
My suggestion would be slightly different from Bill's:

1. If you are running, keep AFC on and NET off. If you don't mind using RIT to tune in off-frequency callers, turn AFC off as well.

2. If you are S&Ping, keep NET on and AFC off.

I would also add that if you are using a K3, and especially if you are using the K3's AFSK Transmit filter, while you are S&Ping you should tune in signals exactly the same way you would if you were using FSK, i.e. with the big knob on the front of the radio. Do not succumb to the temptation to tune by clicking in the waterfall or spectrum display, because that risks moving your transmitted signal out of the middle of the transmit filter bandpass. This is also one of the reasons for my suggestion to turn AFC off while you are S&Ping.

Use the HAM button (or equivalent) to restore your transmit and receive audio frequencies to the defaults whenever you switch from run to S&P, and any other time you find the mark frequency in MMTTY to have wandered away from the default.

73,
Rich VE3KI

W6WRT wrote:

When contesting:

1. If you are running, keep AFC on and NET off.

2. If you are S&Ping, keep both AFC and NET on.