Re: [RTTY] Debate

To: "RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Debate
From: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@frontier.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 10:13:14 -0800
Hi Jay

I've always heard that 'You should do the best with what you got', and
'Contesting is supposed to be fun.'

The reason I do these contests is for the fun, and I'll never finish
anywhere near the top, even though I do SO2R a lot on RTTY contests.
Actually, most of the time I'm so far down the listings I can't even see
daylight from where I'm at.

But, wringing out the last dB or refinement out of my station is what I
really enjoy.  I have 3 radios I can use along with 2 computers that I can
network together.  So, guess I could run SO6R with the 2 VFO's in each
radio.

I just really enjoy seeing just how much I can do with 2 TS-450SAT's, and 1
FT-450SAT.  For antennas I have an 80 meter dipole, 40 meter loop, HB 2-el
yagi at 20 feet on 20, a 15 meter loop, and 2-el monobander at 15 feet for
10.

So you can see that if I use 2 computers networked together with this setup,
I'm really going to be competition to the top ops :-)  They better watch out
for me.

But, it is really fun running RTTY on 2 radios.  What makes it special is
that time you hear someone calling CQ on 20 and work them, and while you are
sending your exchange to them, you hear them CQ'ing on another band and call
them.  I always imagine the big grin that shows up when that happens :-)
Now, that is fun!!

But, I guess if anyone thinks I need to be put into a M/S or M/M class with
my setup, go for it.  I don't think the 'big dogs' are going to be too
worried that I am gonna knock them off the top of the heap.  Thing is, the
'big dogs' are never the ones complaining and griping.  I think it is the
ones that can't keep up that do the most b****ing about 'fairness.'.

If people think everybodies scores improve with 2 radios, why aren't they
doing it?  73
Tom W7WHY

Jay said:

Least anyone mistake my humor of earlier this morning. I have now and
always will support changes in RTTY contesting. Heck I have been doing
this so long that my keyboard has grey keys.

Technology is the fun of the game.  Yeah contesting isn't fair. Never
has been and never will be.  Nor are all contests the same. They were
created with several different ideas.

SO8V is upon us and I just hope to watch someone do this sometime :-)
Its beyond me.

When in doubt don't forget that the contest is supposed to be fun.  Warm
up that QRP rig and have some fun.  Just a hint. Single band contests
are a lot of fun.  Doing one from DX is a lot of fun.