Re: [RTTY] Newbie Question

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Newbie Question
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 12:15:03 -0800
> For RTTY, it generally is about 2-5 kHz, but this is not a firm rule by any
> means.

I just went and looked at some of the past where I had noted down the actual
splits (in kHz) when I have worked RTTY DXpeditions.

9M0C      +2
TL5A       +2.5
3D2DX    +5
ZL9CI      +6.2
5C8M      +1.5
FO0AAA  +22.9 (10m, N6TQS op)
FO0AAA  +2 (20m)
T32B      +2
TX0DX    +5   (Trey op)
4W6GH   +10
8P9JU     +3.5
FO0WEG  +1
K5K         +8   (Garry op)
D68C      +1.8
K1B        +0 (10m, N6TQS op, I was second QSO, so probably not split yet)
K1B        +0.5 (20m)
K1B        +2 (15m)
C56/DL6CM  +2.35
A25/JA1ELY  +5
TG0R      +3
3D2CI     +1.9  (20m)
3D2CI     +5.55 (10m)
TI9M       +2 (15m)
TI9M       +1 (20m)
CE0Y/DM5TI  +3.2 (15m)
CE0Y/DM5TI  +1.4 (20m)
XR0X      +1
HH4/K4QD  +5 (20m)
HH4/K4QD  +5 (15m)
P5/4L4FN   +5
3XA8DX     +2
CY0MM      -2 (down)
AH3D        +14 (15m)
TZ6RD      +2
T32N        +5
5W0SS     +2
T33C        +1
C21DL      +3
3Y0X        +14
ZK1YAQ    +1 (30m)
YJ0ADX     +2
ZL8R        +2
XF4DL      +2 (17m)
N8S         +2.8 (20m)
N8S         +3 (15m)
N8S         +2 (12m)
N8S         +1 (30m)
N8S             +0.3 (30m, PSK31, 300 Hz split)
N8S             +0.3 (17m, PSK31, 300 Hz split)
VP6DX     -7 (20m, down)
VP6DX     -8 (30m, down)
VP6DX     -4 (17m, down)
TX5C       +16.5 (30m)
TX5C       +11.6 (20m)
TX5C      +2.1 (40m)
K5D       -3 (30m)
K5D       -4 (17m)
VP6T     +4
HK0NA  +2

Some ops obviously consistently preferred down instead of up (like Ducie and
Desecheo).

Clipperton operations appear to always be in demand for some reason.  Worse
case FO0AAA in 2000 was +22.9 up, and TX5C in 2008 was +16.5 up.

Swain's ops (or op) appear to like close splits (check out the PSK splits :-).
But it probably is not op specific, but conditions specific, since Doug N6TQS
was at FO0AAA's keyboard at +22.9, but he was also at the keyboard for K1B for
barely any split for the times I worked him.

I didn't do a histogram.  But most appear around 2 kHz, some as close as 500 Hz
and the worse case is the 2000 Clipperton at 22.9 kHz!

There could also be a tendency for larger splits for higher bands, but nothing
conclusive enough statistically (I don't work much DX :-).

73
Chen, W7AY