Re: [RTTY] 2Tone fabuloso!

To: "'RTTY Reflector'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 2Tone fabuloso!
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 19:47:39 -0500
2Tone is now my main decoder. I used it with WriteLog this weekend with great
success. I use it in my main RTTY window and in two
additional receive-only windows. I have one receive-only window with MMTTY. It
gets pretty interesting with four RTTY windows
running at once, but it sure helps determine the validity of received serial
numbers.

In my three 2Tone windows, I started out using V13.04A in the main window
because I thought it would be similar to a special version
that David had sent me to test just before BARTG HF (he named it 13.03-don). I
ran the special version in another window and used
V13.02B in a third window. But after a while it was obvious that 13.04A was not
as good overall than 13.02B or 13.03-don. So I
swapped 13.04A with 13.03-don in the main window. It was a good decision.

This is similar to what I did in BARTG, except I used V13.03A instead of
V13.04A.

In both contests, V13.03-don was best, followed by 13.02B. V13.03A and V13.04
were good, but it just seemed the others were better.
Since I haven't run 13.03A against 13.04A, I can only say that I think 13.04A
is better than 13.03A because there wasn't a huge
difference between all three. I wasn't too impressed with 13.03A at all and
will probably never use it again. There were even times
when MMTTY decoded something the three 2Tone decoders didn't.

2Tone has made RTTY contesting interesting to me again. After 30+ years of
RTTY, sometimes you need these little sparks to keep
things fun. It sure was fun this weekend. I did a single band 15 meter effort
only because I started on 15 and it was so good I
decided to stay. I don't remember the last time the band stayed open 3 hours
past sunset.

73, Don AA5AU