Re: [RTTY] BoD votes LoTW initiatives

To: RTTY contest group <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] BoD votes LoTW initiatives
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 14:25:12 -0500
On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Kok Chen <chen@mac.com> wrote:

> And if you use Pactor III to send the messages, there is even an arguable
> issue concerning the transmission of encrypted (or protected) messages over
> amateur bands outside of an emergency.

Despite the watering down that has occurred over the years, 97.113
prohibits encryption in any circumstance except telecommand of a
station in space operation.  No exception for emergencies, nor should
there be.

We shouldn't get sidetracked, though.  The issue at hand is excessive
bandwidth in the narrow-band portions of the FCC allocations.  We need
to fix the automatic station stuff and we need to fix the proprietary
encoding problem (D-STAR, PACTOR, etc), but this isn't the time.