Re: [RTTY] ARRL issues Official Reply: Re 2.8KHz HF digital BW

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ARRL issues Official Reply: Re 2.8KHz HF digital BW
From: Kai <k.siwiak@ieee.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 15:06:26 -0400
Hi Salvo,
With all respect, and I don't want to criticize you but, when you say "ARRL body it's the same that denied the existence of RTTY by itself for the DXCC" you are of course referring to an extremely narrow and specific definition of "RTTY", namely "170 Hz shift 45.45 baud 1 start bit + 5 bit Baudot code + 1,1.5 or 2 two stop bit RTTY" [let's call it "ham-RTTY"] that many but not all hams favor. I've checked the ARRL DXCC rules and there is no prohibition against you earning DXCC using just "ham-RTTY", except it will be labeled "Digital". There is also no specific DXCC awards for AM phone, or FM phone, or SSB phone or QSOs in Esperanto only. It is "phone". Magically only CW retains its unique status. How is "RTTY" defined in the Italian ham rules and regulations?

To be fair, RTTY has a much broader definition in telecommunications, even ham-telecommunications, than just "ham-RTTY". The FCC in the USA, quotes ITU-R recommendations when using the term RTTY in a quite broad sense:

§ 97.309   RTTY and data emission codes.
(a) Where authorized by §§ 97.305(c) and 97.307(f) of the part, an amateur station may transmit a RTTY or data emission using the following specified digital codes: (1) The 5-unit, start-stop, International Telegraph Alphabet No. 2, code defined in ITU-T Recommendation F.1, Division C (commonly known as "Baudot"). (2) The 7-unit code specified in ITU-R Recommendations M.476-5 and M.625-3 (commonly known as "AMTOR"). (3) The 7-unit, International Alphabet No. 5, code defined in ITU-T Recommendation T.50 (commonly known as "ASCII"). (4) An amateur station transmitting a RTTY or data emission using a digital code specified in this paragraph may use any technique whose technical characteristics have been documented publicly, such as CLOVER, G-TOR, or PacTOR, for the purpose of facilitating communications.

In fact RTTY just means "Radioteletype, a telecommunications system consisting of two or more teleprinters using radio as the transmission medium. The term radioteletype describes the entire family of systems connecting two or more teleprinters over radio, regardless of alphabet, link system or modulation."

There are no RTTY sub-bands, or more correctly, there are no statutory ham-RTTY subbands in the USA, but there are gentleman's agreements on use of ham frequencies. In the USA hams do a good job of self-regulation beyond what the regulations broadly impose on us. CW (in the USA) may be use anywhere at any ham frequency, but we've all agreed that the bottom 50-70 kHz of most ham bands is where the CW action takes place ... perhaps a bit higher during contests or Field Day. The PSK crowd set their dials to 70 kHz above the bottom band edge in most bands,and occupy the 3 kHz above that. The JT65 folks usually confine their signals to a 3 kHz range from 76 kHz and up, above the bottom band edge. No regulations, just self-imposed discipline. I find most ham-RTTY folks between 80 and 95 kHz above the band lower edge, except in contests when they can be found above and below that range. Some bands are a bit different, but there are no statutory sub-bands for ham RTTY.

Now back to the ARRL BOD proposal. They want to remove the language that limits digital systems to "300 baud", and want to restrict digital BW to no more than 2.8 kHz (up from just over 2 kHz that some of the currently used digital modulations occupy). That's it! Less regulation!

With very best regards,
Kai, KE4PT