Re: [RTTY] ARRL and band/mode awards

To: RTTY contest group <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ARRL and band/mode awards
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 11:23:51 -0500
On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Kai <k.siwiak@ieee.org> wrote:

> modulation format for DXCC. They already do that for WAS (except WAS-TPA),
> which does allow a googolplex matrix of digital modes and bands: every
> chirp, warble and squeak seems to be covered! Interestingly, there is no
> differentiation in either WAS or DXCC for individual phone modes. Go figure!

I think that the matrix of awards cheapens the whole thing.  Much like
"winning" CQ WW because you had the highest score of all the Single
Op, Single Band stations in your state running only a tribander or
wires.

About 'phone.  Because the not-so-new-anymore-but-still-crappy ARRL
site is the way it is, you'd never know that, yes, in fact, they do
award by 'phone sub-mode.

I googled "ARRL WAS Rules" which got me to the main WAS page.  I
clicked the link for "complete" rules and got a PDF.  No mention of
'phone there.  I then clicked on "Forms" over on the left under "WAS"
and got to something marked "WAS Paper Application".

Wayyyyy down at the bottom of that section is a link marked "Go Now".
If you are still healthy enough to have lived long enough to get here,
you are rewarded with a PDF of the actual form (PDF for forms, good;
PDF of what should be a webpage, i.e. the rules above, bad).

On that form, about half-way down, you can, if applying for a Phone
award, designate AM, FM, LSB, USB, or Other.

I assume this is legal even if it's not actually in the rules.  ::-D