Re: [RTTY] [NCCC] Contest Courtesy--A Different Take

To: "Hank Garretson" <w6sx@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] [NCCC] Contest Courtesy--A Different Take
From: k6rb@baymoon.com
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 09:35:26 -0700

I agree. As I wrote in "The Joy of Contesting" saying
'please copy' is not being polite; making the exchange as efficient as
possible is polite.

Rob K6RB

My take on contest courtesy is a bit different from what has recently
been espoused on the RTTY list. I don't expect everyone to agree with me,
but I hope that everyone will consider my approach.

It&rsquo;s a contest and a prime objective is to maximize score.
It&rsquo;s a contest and a prime objective is to have fun. It&rsquo;s a
contest and a prime objective is to help others have fun and maximize
their scores. We&rsquo;re all in this together, and we can all do a lot to
help each other maximize score and have fun.

What&rsquo;s the best way to be friendly and courteous? My rule for
contests is that completing the contact in shipshape fashion as quickly as
possible is the most friendly thing I can do for the other guy and for the
other guys waiting. And, it&rsquo;s the most friendly thing you can do for
me. DE's, UR's, NR's, extra spaces, dots, commas, sending 599 more than
once, extra TU's, sending names, etcetera--all detract from everyone's
fun.

Here's my idea of a shipshape RTTY contact.

CQ TEST W6SX W6SX CQ

N3RC N3RC

N3RC 599 03 CA

W6SX 599 04 MT

N3RC TU W6SX CQ

N3RC does not need to send TU to me. By sending his exchange, N3RC
acknowledges that he got my info OK and that he has all he needs. My
preference is that he not send TU--Roger can thank me after the contest.

To end the contact, I send TU to N3RC to acknowledge receipt of his
exchange and to tell the world that I'm ready for the next caller. I could
just as well send R, QSL, CFM, 73, 88, or Aloha.

It&rsquo;s a contest--be contest friendly during the event and regular
friendly afterwards.

After all the above, I'm grateful for every single contact--keep 'em
coming.

73,

Hank, W6SX