[RTTY] FSK

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] FSK
From: Villy Madsen <villy.madsen@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 13:53:55 -0600 (MDT)
 When I got started in RTTY a couple of years ago,  I went looking on EBay for
a cheap USB to RS232 converter.  There were a number available, but I picked
one that had a picture were I could read the chip identification.  Both the
16550x and 16650x series of UARTS will support 5 bit code at the usual baud
rates.

While uarts are available with other chip sets (which may or may not support 5
bit codes), there doesn't appear to be any indications that these chip sets are
going to disappear.

I did buy some USB uarts that just would not work at all - but my money was
quickly refunded.  I think that using hardware generated baudot takes one
complication out of the picture.

Villy  VE6SQ