[RTTY] FSK etal

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] FSK etal
From: w1hkj <w1hkj@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 12:26:01 -0500
On a recent posting, Mark, G0MGX wrote:

You could, but that would only be AFSK i.e. the audio generated in the computer and fed to the radio. The USB gives you an additional computer soundcard (which happens to be in the radio rather than the PC). For FSK you have to use the ACC for PTT and the RTTY port for the FSK keying.
I think we need a way to distinguish FSK generated in the transceiver from a sideband audio FSK signal. AFSK is really not the latter, particularly with a transceiver such as the Yaesu FTDX-3000 (or even my lowly FT-950).

2Tone, Cocoa-Modem, fldigi, and probably a few others produce RTTY audio signals that are a unique combination of both frequency and amplitude modulation. This type of signal is narrower (more friendly to your contest neighbor) than a frequency shifted RTTY signal typically generated by vintage gear. It also can reduce inter-symbol-interference in the received signal. To my knowledge the K3 (and possibly the KX3) is the only transceiver that performs mark/space filtering. I do not know the details of the design, but I would guess that this occurs immediately following signal generation. In a modern DSP implemented transceiver this can be an integral part of the TTY digital signal processing algrorithm.

73, Dave, W1HKJ
fldigi developer