[RTTY] New Ham

To: "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] New Ham
From: Willard <commandpromptthat@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 15:25:09 -0800 (PST)
Hello,

I am a new to amateur radio.  May 2013 I passed my General exam and plan to
take the Extra in February 2014.  For my first radio I picked up a FT-950.  I
also have the YT-450 antenna tuner, and tomorrow I plan to experiment using my
rain gutters for an antenna (no antenna setup as of now).  I suspect antenna
experiments will be an ongoing experience.  I have a computer that I will
dedicate to the shack, and amateur radio operations.  At this time it has
hackintosh installed, but I can install Windows 7 or any flavor of Linux
(recommendations please).

Anyway, I have started research into rtty, and so far I am really intrigued
with what I have learned so far.  What I have learned and what I understand are
at two ends of the spectrum, however I hope this listserv will help me to close
that gap.

I see mmtty is a popular application, I think I will start with that.

One area of concern I have is needed, preferred, and nice to have pieces of
equipment for my shopping list.  While I accept there are various brands of
equipment, I also would like a better understanding on what the individual
pieces of equipment actually do in the rtty process.  I am a non electronic
tech person, new to amateur radio, but eager to learn more on rtty and start
dxing and eventually contesting with this technology.

I hope this is a good place to ask these questions as I seek advice.

Regards,
Wayne