Re: [RTTY] New Ham

To: "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] New Ham
From: Michael Rapp <mdrapp@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 21:53:18 -0600
Hi Wayne!

Welcome to Amateur Radio and RTTY.  I've only been in the hobby for...let
me count...sixteen months, but after spending much of that time trying out
all that amateur radio has to offer (and I still haven't explored it all!),
RTTY came to be my favorite mode.

I also have an FT-950 and really enjoy using it on RTTY.  If you have any
questions on getting it set up and/or interfaced to your computer, I would
be happy to help.

Like yourself I've comfortable with the three main operating systems out
there.  As historically ham radio and especially contesting applications
have been PC-centric, I've got a WinXP box for my ham shack.  (Which will
probably get a Win7 upgrade over the winter holidays.)

The Northern California Contest Club has a nice "RTTY for Newbies" webinar
that I found useful on their webinar page:
http://www.nccc.cc/webinars.html  They also have some tutorials on the
N1MM logger for contesting.

And antennas will grab you.  It has almost become a hobby within a hobby
for me and I live on a small lot with antenna restrictions!  To me, this
makes it even more fun (to look on the bright side) as I've developed a
fascination with trying to figure out what is really going on with these
things so I can maximize the antennas I have.....which at the moment are
three runs of speaker wire hanging from a tree (10, 15/40, and 20 meters).
  I worked Iceland in the last RTTY contest with that.  :)

/*/-=[Michael / KT5MR]-=/*/