Re: [RTTY] ARRL attack on current RTTY users

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ARRL attack on current RTTY users
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 16:35:47 -0500

>  the CW guys/gals have no skin in this game.

The CW guys/gals *absolutely* have skin in this game and *don't*
let them forget that.  The bands where "RTTY, data" are currently
authorized are what we know as "the CW bands" - typically the bottom
100 to 150 KHz of each of the "traditional" HF amateur bands and the
bottom 40 KHz of the newest ("WARC") HF bands.

If the top 20 to 30 KHz of those bands - the area that has been used
for RTTY and other *narrow band* digital data based on bandplans and
tradition - is overrun with 2.8 KHz auto-responding digital systems,
how long do you think it will be before RTTY and other digital signals
*move down the band* into "CW territory"?   One can already see some
indication of "moving down the band" in international RTTY and PSK31
activity on 40 meters ... does anyone think it will not happen on 20
meters or 17 meters?   What happens when the first RTTY DXpedition
fires up on 14.040 listening up because 14.080-14.090 is filled by
*only three or four* auto-responders at maximum bandwidth.  Has anyone
noticed the auto-responders that already show up regularly between
14.050 and 10.070?

Everyone may want to enlist the aid of their CW friends to say ARRL
is wrong.  Eliminate the symbol rate limit if you want and replace it
with a *bandwidth limit* but make that limit 300 to 500 Hz - consistent
with "traditional radioteleprinter bandwidth" for more than 35 years.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV