Re: [RTTY] ARRL attack on current RTTY users

To: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ARRL attack on current RTTY users
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 12:46:41 -0800
On Nov 22, 2013, at 11:51 AM, Bill Turner wrote:

> I am a little surprised that no one has brought up the question of measuring
> bandwidth. We need to be careful what we ask for - we just might get it.

For everything related to radio regulations, always refer to the ITU.

http://life.itu.ch/radioclub/rr/art01.htm

Specifically, in relation to your question:

> 1.152     necessary bandwidth: For a given class of emission, the width of
> the frequency band which is just sufficient to ensure the transmission of
> information at the rate and with the quality required under specified
> conditions.
>
> 1.153     occupied bandwidth: The width of a frequency band such that, below
> the lower and above the upper frequency limits, the mean powers emitted are
> each equal to a specified percentage ß/2 of the total mean power of a given
> emission. Unless otherwise specified by the BR for the appropriate class of
> emission, the value of ß/2 should be taken as 0.5%.

I believe Kai had already mentioned the "0.5%" criterion a month or two ago.  I
am just repeating it here in case people missed it.

73
Chen, W7AY