Re: [RTTY] ARRL attack on current RTTY users

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ARRL attack on current RTTY users
From: Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 06:09:18 -0600
Sometimes you just need to 'sleep on the problem' in order for your brain to work on it. I think that happened to me last night.

A number of years ago (5 to 10) I was invited to a meeting with county officials responsible for local emergency preparedness. This was a meeting held periodically to discuss the progress of the county's 'civil crisis' procedures. This is to prepare for scenarios where society was on brink of failure. Things like what is done with thousands of deceased people if they died within a few days from conflict or disease, etc. (The short answer to that question was to identify and tag the bodies and inter them in temporary trench graves to await additional 'processing' after the crisis was over.)

Among the group of county officials (sheriff, medical examiner, council members) was the IT manager who had invited me and the local ham radio EC group. During the meeting, the status of countywide communications came up for discussion. It was stated that *secured communication channels would be necessary* and that the appropriate (scrambling) equipment was not yet in place but was on order. There was additional discussion regarding why a secured system was necessary during a civil emergency.

The thought passed through my mind at that very moment "Well that pretty much negates any use of amateur radio if secured communication links are required. The FCC does not allow cyphered systems on the amateur bands." I blew this off until just this morning, when I recalled that meeting I attended some years ago.

Now I am wondering whether this "rail job" by the ARRL isn't being driven by the "need" to provide that level of encrypted communication when necessary. If the gumment can't / won't use open communication links during a crisis, that effectively removes the amateur radio community from the disaster relief picture.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN