Re: [RTTY] ARRL attack on current RTTY users

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ARRL attack on current RTTY users
From: Kai <k.siwiak@ieee.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 17:00:12 -0500
EXACTLY!  I've brought this up obliquely before, but in more detail here:

BW limit means "occupied BW" defined as  less than 0.5% of power is below and
less than 0.5% power is above the bandwidth. There is also necessary BW. See the regs, see
47 CFR 2.202 (a) and (b).
In the case of two tone amateur RTTY (or using Chen's affectation "steam RTTY"), that means the BW=B+1.2S where B is the baud rate and S is the shift. The common 45.45B 170S works
out to 249.45 = 250 Hz necessary BW.

So 1000 S at 300 B works out to be 1500 Hz necessary BW. That is a nice possible limit since it parrots the current regs for RTTY as 300 baud limit and max 1000 Hz shift. I won't debate whether that
is needed or even used, but it is currently permitted.

The lowest order PACTOR-III SL1 mode has 100+1.2(840) = 1108 Hz necessary BW, the highest order PACTOR-III SL6 is 100+1.2(2040)= 2448 Hz. There are four levels in between. The lowest order
PACTOR fits in the 1500 BW.

The FCC/NTIA and ITU-R publish guide lines on computing required BWs. See
US 47 CFR 2.201-2.202-emission designators, modulations and necessary BW.
Our 47 CFR 97 points to that.

We indeed need to be careful about what we ask for!

Additionally, modes like PSK31 (63 Hz necessary BW on TX) and JT65
(170 Hz BW on TX) are actually practiced by hams as multiple users in a
2-4 kHz BW subband. Individual TX BWs are small, but general usage is
for multiple simultaneous decodes in a contiguous BW. I guess that this is
the kind of innovation and usage that we don't want to shut ourselves out of.

73
Kai, KE4PT