Re: [RTTY] Hints and tips on how to file comments on RM-11708

To: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>, k.siwiak@ieee.org
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Hints and tips on how to file comments on RM-11708
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 09:13:11 -0500

> Anyhow, the main argument for settling on 2200 Hz is to tell the
> commissioners that it keeps everything the same and still comply with
> the ARRL's stated desire to get rid of the Symbol Rate requirement.
> The automatic station keeps exactly what they currently have.

If one *must* provide an accommodation for the 2200 Hz garbage systems,
the way to do it is to make the bandwidth limit 2200 Hz only in the
automatic control subbands while making the standard 500 Hz elsewhere.
That meets the "Miller" test (not a ruling) by not eliminating the
operation where it is generally and simultaneously answering the
continued need for protection from wideband interference acknowledged
by ARRL's own comments (Footnote 11, page 7).

I still maintain that correct approach to dealing with 2800 Hz wide
data modes to to eliminate the restriction on "RTTY, data" in those
portions of the amateur bands where "Voice, image" transmission is
permitted and allow data bandwidths of up to 2800 Hz in those areas.
Not only would such a step provide an outlet for the PACTOR III/IV
garbage, it would also allow amateur experimentation with and use of
documented protocols such as STANAG and M110 for digital voice all
while representing a significant simplification of the amateur rules
by eliminating regulation of modes as well as protecting narrow band-
width modes from interference by wide bandwidth modes in significant
portions of the amateur bands.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV