Re: [RTTY] Hints and tips on how to file comments on RM-11708

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Hints and tips on how to file comments on RM-11708
From: Kai <k.siwiak@ieee.org>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 21:30:01 -0500
Chen
I finally found non-ARRL info about PACTOR-III. The manufacturer claims an occupied BW of 2.2 kHz not 2.4 kHz as I used in my argument before. So where I used '2.4 kHz' before I now put '2.2kHz' - and source the data as the manufacturer's tech manual. In previous emails I was using the 2.2 kHz figure, but went to 2.4 erroneously because of the ARRL mistaken claim in the proposal.

My bottom line now reads:
____
I can see a 2.2 kHz BW limit below 28 MHz, and 2.8 kHz above 28 MHz.

If I make comments, they will be to support the ARRL proposal in general, EXCEPT to modify the ARRL proposal such that Table (c) make no changes, then in (3) change 2.8 to 2.2; do not delete (4) but instead use the language proposed (3) with the 2.8 kHz limit.

The net effect of the proposal is most clearly shown in the Table of page 2, the "Maximum Symbol Rate" column would be deleted, and in the "Authorized Bandwidth" column, the entry for 160-12 m would be 2.2 kHz (ARRL wants 2.8 kHz), and the 10 m entry would be 2.8 kHz.

The "if I make comments" is predicated on finding and being able to present credible, cite-able evidence that 2800 Hz would cause harm to current users of the affected spectra. I emphasize "credible and cite-able" not speculative or anecdotal. Chen, I think you might have material which may work. Why is 2800 Hz harmful?

Respectfully and 73,
Kai