Re: [RTTY] Hints and tips on how to file comments on RM-11708

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Hints and tips on how to file comments on RM-11708
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 16:57:11 -0500

> That's part of the problem. Without these limitations we can realize
> modes nobody thought of till today.

We don't *need* those wider bandwidth modes for either radioteletype
(user to user) communications or amateur "data" (bulk transfer) uses.
The *only value* of wider bandwidth signals is to carry more data -
either digital voice or *commercial* data quantities.  In the former
case, digital voice belongs in the "voice, image" allocations and in
the latter case, commercial data transfers *do not belong* in the
amateur bands at all.

Nonsense. Ham density in many countries is much higher than in the
US. Even more when taken into account that most technicians are
active on VHF/UHF only.

This is not an issue of "national density" - it is number of hams in
total or number of users per KHz.  There are more amateurs in the US
than there are in Canada, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and South
America *combined*.  If even the same percentage of licensees were to
use wide band data modes in the US as in the rest of the world, the
horrendous level of interference from wideband data signals would
more than double over night.

> This all seems to be a private campaign of a few against
> Winlink/Pactor rather than supporting the future of ham radio.

No, this is all about the future of amateur radio.  Do you want an
amateur service that is about the amateurs and provides an opportunity
for amateur to amateur communication or do you want an amateur service
in which the amateur bands are used as conduits for low cost commercial
data transfer - essentially another mobile service - dominated by one
or two corporations?

> This proposal was well defined by experts from ARRL with a more global
> future oriented view helping experimenters to develop new modes.

This proposal was developed by *Winlink insiders* who hijacked the ARRL
process.  These self-serving individuals railroaded a recommendation
through an ad hoc committee and the Board of Directors without giving
the general membership an opportunity to comment or provide opposing viewpoints.

> That's ham radio!

No, that's a corporate coup d'tat.

> Support our league, guys.

Support the Amateur Service - not corporate confiscation.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

have all been developed under  the current bandwidth "limitations."

That's part of the problem. Without these limitations we can realize
modes nobody thought of till today.

  Co-existance has not been "proven in the rest of the world" as use
of wider modes has been limited by the number of licensees in the
rest of the world

Nonsense. Ham density in many countries is much higher than in the
US. Even more when taken into account that most technicians are
active on VHF/UHF only.

Winlink and PACTOR III/IV are a blight on amateur radio and should

This all seems to be a private campaign of a few against Winlink/Pactor rather
than supporting the future of ham radio.

This proposal was well defined by experts from ARRL with a more global
future oriented view helping experimenters to develop new modes.
That's ham radio!
Support our league, guys.

Stan