Re: [RTTY] RM-11708, the "other side"

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RM-11708, the "other side"
From: Jay WS7I <ws7ik7tj@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 17:58:41 -0800
Well, Bill, you would be wrong. Just give the Combined Fire Chiefs of Spokane County a call and see why they pay for the EWARG (Eastern WA Amateur Radio Group) lease year after year. It as because back in the big Ice Storm that we had here some years ago the only means of communications between the central fire dispatch and the utility company was provided by our digital system. e.g. We saved their bacon. Pole on fire at xx,yy,zz and only accurate, reliable and intelligent digital worked.

VHF, HF Radio's didn't work, phones, cw, or anything else. We setup a point-to-point station and ran digital on each end. That worked.

So blanket statements don't work, however, you are sort of right. During Katrina when the ARRL sent teams into the area and all of that stuff, there was a huge pipe of data (as in internet) that never left the air for a second. I talked to a guy in an NOC (network Operations Center) and he had so much excess capacity to include generators that he never missed a beat. We blogged for days on end. He patrolled the hallways in a very high building with a .45 and a shotgun!

Problem was no one knew how to hook stuff up so that the "locals" could access his data pipe.