[RTTY] XP Support going QRT

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] XP Support going QRT
From: Ken Eigsti <diverken@chaffee.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 10:52:17 -0700
Hi Guys
I think there are a lot of XP OS out there with RTTYers and as of 4-8-14
the support from Microsoft ends.

Question is: What are you going to do?

I have several Dell laptops (each has serial port) and I use only for RTTY
and they are networked and work well. I only use them for RTTY contesting
(SO2R and M/S)  so the only exposure to the Internet is via TELNET. I don't
think these old Dells would support Windows 7 very well so I am not
contemplating an upgrade to Win 7..

If my only exposure is to Telnet via DX Clusters do I have to worry about
Virus, Malware et al.??
Are Telnet connections safe from virus? I use WL for contesting software.

There will be no "security" patch updates, but would it be possible to just
keep on diddling with XP?

I am not very computer literate and apologize if these questions are too
elementary.

Any help appreciated.
73 Ken W0LSD