Re: [RTTY] XP Support going QRT

To: Ken Eigsti <diverken@chaffee.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] XP Support going QRT
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 12:02:54 -0600
On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 11:52 AM, Ken Eigsti <diverken@chaffee.net> wrote:

> (SO2R and M/S)  so the only exposure to the Internet is via TELNET. I don't

Meaning the only incoming port on your system is 23/tcp (telnet's
port)?  I don't think that's what you mean.  I think you mean that you
only exit the building via telnet.  If that's the case, the only thing
you expose is the traffic that goes across the wire.  Since you're
connecting to a public cluster, that's not a worry.

What inbound ports are exposed to the outside world is a different
matter and that's where the filtering on your modem or router come in
(either NAT or SPI).

> think these old Dells would support Windows 7 very well so I am not
> contemplating an upgrade to Win 7..

I wonder if this is true.  You see it said a lot by people as if it's
true, but is it?  Of course, age is a factor - a system from 2001
would be less likely to run W7 than one from 2006.  I'd say try it if
you can.  Buy a new disc for it, take the old one out and "store it in
a safe place" and try the install (assuming you have a copy of W7)
with the new disk.

My Dell Precision 670 with 4GB of RAM runs W7 fine and it's from 2006.