Re: [RTTY] Frequency accuracy of WZ7I skimmer

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Frequency accuracy of WZ7I skimmer
From: Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 15:39:04 -0600
Wes, you said /

"This week I used both RCKskimmer and MMTTY to monitor the W1AW bulletin Baudot transmissions on 80, 40, and 20 meters. The frequencies reported by RCKskimmer were well within 100hz of the published frequency, Using LSB fed to MMTTY and observing the crossed ellipse display, the VFO dial frequency was quite close to the 2125hz difference from the published Mark frequency one would have predicted."/

My eye caught your statement "observing the crossed ellipse display...". That method of
tuning a RTTY signal is VERY suspect to error. A better method is to turn on the*FIR*  decoder in
MMTTY. Now you will get a nice, crisp "+" plus sign. But even this is an inferior method
when compared to using the new(er)*2Tone*  decoder by David, G3YYD.

David has implemented an excellent bandscope tool that allows you to exactly
zero beat a received signal. It has a pair of stationary vertical lines which
represent 2125/2295. A second pair of vertical lines represent the current
tones you are receiving. The objective is to tune your received until one set
of lines overlay the other. You can visually see how far off your received
tones are. In addition, if the signal is not exactly zero beat, the status bar
tells you how many Hz off frequency from 2125/2295 you are tuned.

The 2Tone program is not a standalone program like MMTTY. It requires N1MM or
other software that implements 2Tone as another RTTY decode engine. If you have
not played with this software, I highly recommend downloading it and experience
its superior tuning / zero-beating capability.

The current verions is 13.12a.zip and you can download the 2Tone file here:

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN