[RTTY] DX Pile ups

To: "RTTY, Contesting" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] DX Pile ups
From: "Dick White" <whiter26@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 11:46:59 -0600
This thread seems to be on the RTTY contesting site. I find it interesting.
I have been chasing DX and DXpeditions since 1976. It is a game and what I
like is the joy of the chase.  At present I just need Bouvet and Scarborough
Reef to have them all.  All the time I have chassed DX we have had pileups
and jammers. The problem today seems to be that we have more operators today
than we did 40 years ago. It is much easier to get a license today than it
was back in 1976.  The most distressing time I had was when I thought I had
worked Bouvet only to have my card returned as "not in log." I am still
waiting for the chance to try working it again.  With the political
situation I doubt that there will be a DXpedition to Scarborough any time
soon.  At age 87 it may never happen before I "short to ground."

I seen nothing wrong with the current DXpedition procedures. I do not have
to have instant gratification in working DX. I use all the skills I have
learned over the past 40 years to work DX. I enjoy the chase and if I work
them I am happy and if I do not work them I hope to have the opportunity
again.  I feel sorry for those who get disgusted  and vow to not chase DX
any more.  They have lost the joy of ham radio and DXing. The current FT5ZM
operation pileups have been a zoo. But, I have tried to work them every day.
I finally worked them on 20M RTTY and 40M CW.  These are new bands for me,
not new DX. I worked and confirmed FB8ZO in 1983 on 20M CW. That call was on
the air from January to July 1983. Be patient, take your time and use your
skills and you will have the fun of the chase and maybe put a new one in
your log. DXing is a game and like any other game you win or lose, but you
keep on playing.

Just a few of my thoughts

Dick  KS0M

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is the way it is. How you deal
with it is what counts.

Richard C. (Dick) White

Fulton, MO. 65251  U.S.A.

Amateur Radio Station  KS0M