Re: [RTTY] Being the fox - pileup running

To: "James C. Hall, MD" <heartdoc@nwtcc.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Being the fox - pileup running
From: Hank Garretson <w6sx@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 19:44:41 -0800
Yee Haw! You are going to have a blast.

One tip gleaned from my operation as W1AW/6 and from listening to other
W1AW/# operations.

When you work split, include UP at the end of every CQ and at the end of
each end-of-contact acknowledgement.

Just this evening I was listening to a W1AW/# operator who sometime sent UP
and sometime didn't. It was chaos. Stations calling up, stations calling on
his frequency. Even some frequency cops.

Send UP every turnover.

While I'm thinking of it. I tried stacking. It didn't work well. While
stacking works well for me in contests, many of the guys calling W1AW/# are
not contesters and are thrown for a loop with w3xxx TU NOW w7abc 599 CA
w7abc. I found it was better to work each station one station at a time.

More thinking. Often when running during contests, I send w8aaa 599 CA
without a w8aaa at the end. For W1AW/#, I found it useful to always send
the call at the end. Likewise during contests, I often send TU W6SX CQ to
acknowledge a contact. For W1AW/#, I recommend w5xyz TU W1AW/# CQ (with UP
if split).

Diddly Exuberantly,

Hank, W6SX