Re: [RTTY] RTTY Digest, Vol 134, Issue 50

To: "James C. Hall, MD" <heartdoc@nwtcc.com>, "'Salvatore Irato'" <iw1ayd@gmail.com>, "'RTTY Reflector'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Digest, Vol 134, Issue 50
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 19:54:09 -0900
Salvo brings up a good point about stacking - be prepared to use it "just in case". But, on the other hand, be prepared to dump it quickly too. RTTY contesters are used to seeing the ...NOW.... format in RTTY contests. Non-contesters may be confused and frustrated by this unfamiliar method of working multiple stations in a row without calling CQ. IF they are patient and watch what is going on they may catch on.

However, in contests we generally work simplex so if a station is not worked immediately they usually stay on the same frequency to send another call on the next QRZ or CQ. My concern with using the stack, when running split, is that a call may come through and be placed in the stack, but then when that call is brought from the stack and sent the report he may no longer be on the original QRG. Some stations are bound to think they can find a better QSX location to call from again. Then, when you call them, they see their call on your TX frequency, but they have now moved elsewhere and when they respond you won't hear them because they have moved off from where you first heard them to another frequency. This is bound to lead to multiple repeat calls by the running station and frustration for the station being called because he can see his call on the screen, but the W1AW/n operator doesn't seem to hear his reply!

Just another thing to be aware of in the confusion of the pile up!

73,
Gary AL9A