Re: [RTTY] List of Winlink stations

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] List of Winlink stations
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 11:26:02 -0400

If it was then why go there knowing what may happen. It's like going
for a Sunday evening walk on the I-95 interstate.

The problem is this *is not confined to the "automatic" subband*.

The rules allow automatically controlled stations to *answer calls*
*anywhere* except 60 meters provided:
(1) The station is responding to interrogation by a station under
> local or remote control; and

(2) No transmission from the automatically controlled station
occupies  a bandwidth of more than 500 Hz.
    - section 97.212(c)

The issues with this are: 1) the "calling station" can not hear
signals in his skip zone or stations the "other side" of the robot
he is calling; 2) once the automatically controlled station has
established a link with a station under local or remote control
there appears to be *nothing* to prevent the two stations from
"up-shifting" to a faster rate/wider bandwidth signal.

Excuse me, but was this NOT the very reason that the "auto" sub band
was created?

Automatically controlled stations are like *any other* amateur station
they do not have an exclusive right to any frequency - whether they are
in the automatic control subband or not.  *All* amateur stations are
required to stand-by if the frequency is in use (e.g. first come, first
served).

> You don't go looking for a SSB QSO in the CW portion do you?

One is not legally allowed to transmit SSB (or any wide bandwidth mode
- including wide bandwidth image) in those frequencies reserved for
narrow bandwidth modes (identified as "RTTY, data" in 97.305(c)).  For
your information, there is no "CW portion" - CW is permitted on *all*
amateur frequencies.  See 97.305(a) "Except a specified elsewhere in
this part, an amateur station may transmit a CW emission on any
frequency authorized to the control operator."

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV