Re: [RTTY] Digital Operators Band Plan Committee - Current thoughts and

To: Terry <ab5k@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Digital Operators Band Plan Committee - Current thoughts and status
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 17:27:14 -0700
On Mar 17, 2014, at 5:05 PM, Terry wrote:

> The wording that I saw was:  "A RTTY, data or multiplexed emission using an
> unspecified digital code under the limitations listed in§ 97.309(b) of this
> part also may be transmitted."   I assume that was added to allow Pactor 4.

The unspecified code clause is still in place even if RM-11708 is accepted with
no modification by the FCC.  The ARRL proposal for §97.307(f)(3), as amended,
reads:

"Only a RTTY or data emission using a specified digital code listed in §
97.309(a) of this part may be transmitted.  The authorized bandwidth is 2.8
kHz."

I believe there is an expectation that SCS will release the Pactor-4 protocol,
else it will remain illegal even if FCC allows 2.4 kHz wide signals.

Currently, it is illegal to use Pactor-4 on amateur bands in the US due because
of two reasons: 1) it exceeds legal bandwidth, and 2) the codes (convolution
codes, encryption, etc) that it use are not publicly documented.

73
Chen, W7AY