Re: [RTTY] Digital Operators Band Plan Committee - Current thoughts and

To: "'Michael Adams'" <mda@n1en.org>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Digital Operators Band Plan Committee - Current thoughts and status
From: Terry <ab5k@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 20:34:55 -0500
Hi Michael,

Great point.

I found a WinLink video on u-Tube where a ham is taking three LOTW Q's and
uploading them to the ARRL.   I'm not even sure which technology mode he is
using but it gives a good feel for the overall speed and how the system
works.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7a72E8Wwl8

Better that that are some comments from:
http://forums.qrz.com/archive/index.php/t-122967.html
That say:   "This fact, in part, was why the Katrina commission concluded
that eMail was worse than useless for ECOMMs, generating more of the clutter
and confusion that makes ECOMM work difficult to do. - The Katrina
commission went on to recommend direct tactical radio communications between
serving entities over the dubious idea of sifting through eMails during an
emergency in the hope that among the trash there may be some nugget of
useful information."    We are looking for a link to the a official source.

And I am in no way against the TOR's, sail boaters, and certain not EMCOMM.
I have done all of those.   The intentional QRM was the trigger that got me
interested.   A few days ago, I was even for letting them have PACTOR 4.
Then I read K0SM, Andy's three comments on RM-11708.

Is there a monitoring program that could be used to identify the offenders?
I downloaded a WinMore app that's got a programmers API.  The thinking is it
might be interesting to identify stations that QRM'ed us.   When contesting
and one of these things fires up one would have to drop out of N1MM, and
fire up a second app and identify the offender and well as log how long he
had been running on the frequency.   The documented interference could be
used for something and at a minimum a email could be sent to both stations
informing them of intentional interference.   I'm sure a lot of these guy
think they are doing the world a great service and have no idea the damage
they are doing to amateur radio and the Winlink reputation.

I saw one other statement that Winlink decided to deploy horizontally (take
the whole band) rather than vertically (stack up and share frequencies).
I'm not sure if that was a design decision by Winlink team or just a user
comment but if they had options, and chose to deploy horizontally then it's
a bigger deal and might be considered intentions interference to the amateur
community by members of their technical team.   Someone was making those
kind of technical deployment decisions and if that's documented anywhere a
link would be appreciated.

Terry