Re: [RTTY] RTTY Digest, Vol 135, Issue 33

To: "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Digest, Vol 135, Issue 33
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 13:34:19 -0500
On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org> wrote:

> I would be careful about wielding arguments relying on "need" or
> "availability of other services" around.
>
> In this day and age, what is the "need" for amateur radio in general?   If
> communications via amateur radio are supposed to be limited to incidental
> communications not possible by other services...well, what does that really
> mean in a world where the internet is available on a 24/7/365 basis by
> satellite at most latitudes?

It doesn't mean what your straw man says it means.  Here it is, again,
from the rules:

§97.113   Prohibited transmissions.

(a) No amateur station shall transmit:

(5) Communications, on a regular basis, which could reasonably be
furnished alternatively through other radio services.

Nothing there prohibits anything your straw man brings up, the key
words being "on a regular basis".