Re: [RTTY] RTTY ARRL Centennial Operation

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY ARRL Centennial Operation
From: "Charles Morrison" <cmorrison@lusfiber.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 16:47:01 -0500
> Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 04:45:40 -0400
> From: "Shelby Summerville" <k4ww@twc.com>
> To: "RTTY Contesting" <RTTY@contesting.com>
> Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY ARRL Centennial Operation
>
> Mike, K4GMH wrote: "Yes, that was me operating SO2R on 15 and 10 meters
> interlacing QSOs at the same time using the "...UP2...".
>
> I found it to be more efficient to only use "UP" instead of "UP2", as
> it spread the callers out.  Especially, early on, when the pileups were
> much greater. Depending on the band and activity, I kept it between 1-
> 3, and only a few times did I have to specify an area to allow them to
> "get through". I think ARRL did a disservice, what else is new, by
> making band/mode contacts public prior to the end of the operation. I
> saw several emails to our coordination almost demanding a specific
> band/mode. I relate this to the DX Hogs that try to fill every
> band/mode slot, regardless of the needs of others, and then crow about
> it to any/all that will listen.
> C'Ya, Shelby - K4WW
>
> Since I don't  have an iPad or iPhone, sent from my PC

After attending the Monroe hamfest, its apparent that the Louisiana Contest
Club is sponsoring the Louisiana portion of this.  I've already corresponded
with Don about the RTTY operation, as Im fairly certain he and I will be
handling the majority of that portion (at least).  But I am curious about
these demands from the league about certain modes and certain times.  It
wasn't explained like that to me.  They did want to know who was operating
when, so in case something went awry they (the coordinators) could contact
the operator and take corrective action.  However this was told to me that
it was because the league was giving out the W1AW callsign and therefore was
responsible for it.

I have, on behalf of the LCC, lined up several crack CW operators from South
Louisiana who'll be more than happy to sit there and bang out QSO's during
the weekday (when plenty of us are at work), but I surely don't want to have
pressure from anyone that would run them (or me) off.  I am seriously
looking forward to the pileups, and I absolutely WELCOME any and ALL
suggestions/techniques from those who've been on the other side of the
pileup.  I've worked runs from W5WMU, but nothing like I anticipate this to
be.  I am really excited.

Charlie
N5WE