Re: [RTTY] Please file your comments with RM-11708 with teh FCC and your

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Please file your comments with RM-11708 with teh FCC and your ARRL Director
From: RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 01:03:51 -0400

> For two-tone RTTY, the limits are 300 baud AND 1 kHz maximum tone
> separation,

That is only true because neither the Commission or anyone else could
have foreseen multiple tone FSK or channel equalization methods when
the rules were written.  That was still the case well into the late
1980s when the rules for automatically controlled digital operations
were written.  Unfortunately, PACTOR II maintained the 500 Hz bandwidth
and when PACTOR III with its multiple channel modes was introduced
nobody thought to ask the Commission to apply the 1500 Hz limit.  It
is likely, they would have done something if a timely complaint had
been made but once the mode became generally used they were reluctant
to order it withdrawn from use.

The correct arguments to make are:
(1) Remove the archaic 300 baud language AND
(2) take ALL that occupy more than (for example) 500  Hz (digital and
analog)ABOVE the CW/digital boundary.\

> It becomes regulation by bandwidth, but that is the right thing to
> do.

It is no different than the regulatory system that has been in place
for 80+ years.  Regulations protecting narrow bandwidth modes from
the asymmetric interference caused by wide bandwidth modes have been
the norm since the FCC restricted phone to only part of each amateur
band.

If the Commission were to allow RTTY and data every where CW is now
authorized, apply a 500 Hz (or 300 Hz) limit in the current "CW bands"
and explicitly limit all modes except ISB and AM to 2.8 KHz instead of
the vague "bandwidth of a communications grade voice signal", the
regulations would become content agnostic.  That is, it would not
matter if the source of the modulation was voice, image, keyboard
to keyboard or computer to computer communications.  That environment
would allow innovation to flourish - particularly mixed data modes -
and would continue to protect traditional narrow bandwidth modes from
catastrophic interference levels while at the same time give the high
speed data transfer folks an opportunity.

The only other additions I would make would be:

1) all protocols, modulations, and encoding systems must be fully
   disclosed.  All encoding keys must be public, variable key
   encoding would not be permitted.
2) proprietary protocols - those that require the purchase of a
   software license or specific hardware in order to decode - would
   not be permitted (e.g., AMBE or PACTOR III/IV).
3) all automatically controlled stations must include effective
   channel busy detectors for both wideband and narrow band as well
   as analog and digital signals.
4) any modulation/protocol not generally monitored "by ear" must
   have a "waterfall" or spectrum display capable of showing any
   other signal on the frequency so the operator can avoid causing
   interference.  Any mode/modulation/protocol that lacks visual
   means for determining whether a frequency is busy must include
   an effective software channel busy detector.
5) automatically controlled digital stations would not be permitted
   in the narrow band segments of any band or 160 and 30 meters.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV