Re: [RTTY] RM-11708 FCC comments will close soon

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RM-11708 FCC comments will close soon
From: "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 08:17:26 -0700
I agree that bandwidth segmentation is the crux of RM-11708--retaining
sub-bands where <500 Hz signals are protected from the QRM of wide-bandwidth
signals.

Unfortunately, we can't escape some techno-babble because the proponents of
RM-11708 are theoretically correct that there is no bandwidth limit in the
CW, RTTY and data only sub-bands.  Refuting this draws us into the technical
debate to show that wide-bandwidth signals are effectively impractical with
the current symbol rate limit.

However, the mental model described below is the essence of the issue with
RM-11708 once all the technical sparring is stripped away.  The take-away is
that our networks of traffic pathways (from hiking trails and sidewalks to
highways and race tracks) are shared among many incompatible kinds of
transportation.  Sometimes the sharing is spatial such as sidewalks vs.
streets.  Sometimes the sharing is temporal such as when normal roads are
temporarily closed for a footrace.  The key point is that there are
mechanisms for sharing.  RM-11708 seeks to eliminate the notion of sharing
by letting wide-bandwidth signals operate anywhere on the HF bands.

Ed W0YK