Re: [RTTY] [DFWcontest] Please forward this far and wide, its important

To: Dan Bates <n5tm@katytx.net>, DFWcontest@yahoogroups.com, ctdxcc@kkn.net, rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] [DFWcontest] Please forward this far and wide, its important if you care about CW and RTTY
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2014 11:32:52 -0400

The new proposed rule will allow us to experiment with some exciting
new modulation modes and keep amateur radio a leader in the
progression of  radio communications.

That's ARRL propaganda and completely untrue.  The only thing is will
permit is a *commercial* protocol (PACTOR 4) with a significantly
stronger interference profile.  This move would further codify the
separation of modes based on content rather than basing allocations
on modulation characteristics (bandwidth).

The *real* issue is 1) 2.8 KHz bandwidth and 2) symbol rates greater
than 300 baud.

RTTY, PSK31, JT65/JT9 *already* have a problem with 200 baud 2.4 KHz
wide PACTOR 3 signals wiping out five or six 300 Hz wide (RTTY) or
less signals.  If the bandwidth is increased to 2.8 KHz and the baud
limit removed that problem *will become an issue for CW* as the PSK31,
RTTY and JT mode signals *move down the band* to escape.

PACTOR 3 at its widest mode has a crest factor (peak to average ratio)
of 5.7 dB.  PACTOR 4 with its *1800 baud* modulation has a crest factor
of less than 4 dB - that means PACTOR 4 is 2dB *stronger* than the
typical PACTOR 3 QRM today.  Other 2.8 KHz digital modes with higher
baud rates *have even lower crest factors* - N9NB can probably give us
a theoretical number but I would guess for a 2400 or 3200 baud STANAG
modulation the crest factor might be sub 3 dB or *double the strength*
of the already crippling PACTOR 3 crap.

*THERE IS NO NEED* for higher data rates in amateur service - ham radio
is not an alternative to commercial internet access.  There is no need
to remove the current symbol rate limitation even if ARRL feels it is
necessary to add a bandwidth limitation for data modes to protect from
some hypothetical multi-tone modulation of the future.

Wideband data belongs with other wideband (voice, image, etc.) modes.
If wideband techniques are to be used, update the rules to allocate
based on necessary/occupied bandwidth, not emission type of the content
of the modulation.  Take that step and the rules instantly become ready
for the future *and* permit amateur experimentation in mixed content
(digital voice with text/control/signalling) that are currently not
permitted because data (telemetry) is restricted to one area of the
spectrum and voice is restricted to another.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV