Re: [RTTY] RTTY article in NCJ in past year or so

To: Ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY article in NCJ in past year or so
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 08:31:09 -0400
Thank you Ken! That indeed was the article.

As one of my bosses told me decades ago, "Tim, if you don't know how to do
it, you don't know how to do it with a computer."

I think ZS6EZ's methods could someday be done by computer but for right now
I'm going to try to take advantage of them by doing them myself :-). I'm
pretty good right now at knowing "oh the shift must have gotten lost
somewhere". ZS6EZ's working knowledge of single-bit-error-syndromes and
deep recall of common RTTY callsigns is something that I'm only barely
learning how to do at this point. (It helps that I am getting pretty good
at SCP and partial callsigns).

What I find interesting is how useful it is to me, to listen intently to
the RTTY signals as I have multiple decoder windows open along with
waterfall and X-Y scope. (Well, modern software equivalent of X-Y scope).
If there was a static crash I can know to suspect the computer's decoding
at that point and find a fill from a different time point. It turns out to
be quite engaging.

Tim N3QE