Re: [RTTY] fldigi vs the others

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] fldigi vs the others
From: "David G3YYD" <g3yyd@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 21:35:52 -0000
Bill

I have tested 2Tone against MMTTY during its development. I used PathSim,
ITU-R propagation models and VE3NEA's RTTY compare software. The difference
especially using the ITU-R Poor model is startling. Using just added white
Gaussian noise (AWGN) 2Tone is within about 0.2 to 0.3dB of what is
theoretically possible for a 5 data bit 2FSK signal.

However one thing to remember is that most of the time signals are strong
enough that almost any decoder will produce a result. It is when the
propagation is against you that the differences really show up.

I have not compared 2Tone against Fldigi, mainly because there is a limit to
how much time one can spend on this sort of thing. My time at the moment is
being spent on testing for N1MM+ and building a full power RTTY rated  solid
state PA.

You can of course do your own comparisons and let us know the results. Look
at this http://www.dxatlas.com/RttyCompare/ for more information.

73 David G3YYD