Re: [RTTY] fldigi & 2Tone AFSK

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] fldigi & 2Tone AFSK
From: "David G3YYD" <g3yyd@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 07:10:50 -0000
Salvo

You have noticed the difference with Fldigi transmit. It uses differential
on/off keying (DOOK). That is it generates two tones and filters the
individual tones so they are both narrow in bandwidth before combining them
together. This produces a waveform that has considerable amplitude change
during the transition from one tone to the other as both tones are present
at the same time.

This system has some distinct advantages as long as the transmitter is
linear and produces a low level of IMD. It occupies a minimum of bandwidth
and even allows two signal to be received correctly with 85Hz off set
between them. As both tones are present at the same time a transmitter with
poor IMD will produce a wider signal than necessary.

2Tone for AFSK uses a different method, which is it filters the keying
waveform which then frequency modulates the carrier tone. This produces a
signal with no amplitude changes yet has a narrow overall bandwidth. But it
produces a much higher level of spectrum between the mark and space tones
than the DOOK method. But as there is no amplitude change and only one tone
at any instance poor transmitter IMD is not a problem.

2Tone originally used the DOOK method (and the code is still within the
software) but I changed to the one described above as being a better
compromise for those who will overdrive their transmitters so generating IMD
products. It is possible to set 2Tone to use DOOK by manually editing the
2Tone.ini file so that TXmode=1. However as soon as you change 2Tone set up
it will be overwritten.

In terms of transmit effectiveness - received character error rate - I have
found both DOOK and 2Tone FM system to have the same performance. In an
ideal world DOOK is the preferred method as it minimises spectral occupancy
but because a small minority do not know or wilfully misuse their kit I went
for the FM method as the default.

73 David G3YYD