Re: [RTTY] Fwd: Southeastern Division Survey Question

To: rtty@contesting.com, "Rehman, Doug, K4AC" <k4ac@arrl.org>, "Lee, Michael, AA6ML" <AA6ML@arrl.org>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Fwd: Southeastern Division Survey Question
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 23:45:43 -0400

Doug,

Interestingly, I did not receive a copy of this survey as a Division
Member ...

However, why confuse the issue with added spectrum?  Technician/Novice
licensees already have full CW privileges on 80/40/15 & 10 (3525-3600, 7025-7125, 21.025-21-200, 28.000-28.300) which includes frequencies
already used for narrow band digital modes, why not just ask for the
authority to use digital modes with a maximum bandwidth of 500 Hz in
addition to CW (§97.307(f)(9))?

Adding basic digital privileges without authorization to operate store
and forward or automatically controlled systems would be consistent
with other restrictions on the entry level licenses.   Given the number
of Novice/Technician licensees, allowing them 300HF1B and 300HJ2B
privileges is far less damaging to amateur radio than RM-11708.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV