Re: [RTTY] CQ WW RTTY Contest Practice Sessions

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] CQ WW RTTY Contest Practice Sessions
From: "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 19:17:13 -0400
As Scott K0DQ says, "The first casulty of battle (or a contest) is the
plan."  My plan in the 2200-2230z practice was to start on 10/15, go to
20/15 after ten minutes and them 20/40 the last 10 minutes.  Even with these
supposedly punk conditions, there were immediate pile-ups of JAs (and US) on
both bands that I couldn't break away from.  The JAs were weak, but
printable.  A few Europeans called in, late in the evening for them on the
high bands.

Very few stations realized a practice was going on and it was hard to get
zones and QTHs from most of them.  OTOH, no one I worked questioned my
sending a zone in the exchange.  Got quite a few ITU zones, carry over from
IARU/WRTC I suppose.

Moral for all of us is to be flexible and let propagation and activity
determine where to operate.

Ed W0YK

Ed W0YK wrote:

Thursday, 25 September, 2200-2230z
Friday, 26 September, 0330-0400z

Follow CQ WW RTTY Contest Rules on whatever bands are open for you (80-10m).

Try out your hardware, software, messages, operating, etc. before the big
weekend event!