Re: [RTTY] Point-and-click vs typing

To: "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Point-and-click vs typing
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 17:57:43 +0000
I am a relative newbie in RTTY contesting.

I'm also a trackball user, which I prefer because it requires less motion and
is more precise than a mouse.

This past weekend, I had my trackball sitting immediately to the right of my
keyboard, so that I could tap the numeric enter key or move the ball with the
thumb of my right hand, and click trackball buttons / move the scroll wheel
with my index and middle fingers.  That left my left hand free to tune, or tap
other keys if needed.

I had one two-plus hour run where I just about kept my right hand on the
trackball, my left index finger on the enter key...and just about didn't need
to make any other motion.  The only way it could have been any easier would be
if the station were completely automated.

I've seen and practiced "all keyboard" RTTY contest operation.  If I were set
up to be more aggressive in pursuing SO2R operation during a RTTY contest, I
probably would want to be all keyboard.  But for single radio, or "occasional
second radio" use...well, my hands were less stressed/tired at 2400Z Sunday
night than they would have been after a similar CW test (where I would have
been "all keyboard").

(My opinion would be different, however, if I used a mouse instead of a
trackball. Too much arm motion to make the mouse work.)

--
Michael Adams | N1EN | mda@n1en.org