Re: [RTTY] Point-and-click vs typing

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Point-and-click vs typing
From: iw1ayd - Salvatore Irato <iw1ayd@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2014 20:32:19 +0200
Hi all.
It's really an interesting subject. Just to say I user a gamer keypad - USB - , a portable USB keyboard with a two port USB HUB and a trackball. But over it all I use N1MM, both Classic and Plus, logger. That's the weapons chassis where I mount and use the others things I'd just described. Macros and automation functions of N1MM Logger are a bed to be programmed, configured and used simply with just some auto learning hours. The logger and the level of automation and reporting of the logger is one of the keys. Right Click + not return, macros for radio filters commands, radio PO control are easy to use and under control even when tired. I also use a lot the automated LOGTHENPOP, storing calls into the band map. I use it FIFO, I prefer it over LOGTHENGRAB or the pure GRAB functions. More control by the operator, me and my gestures. The main use for the gamer keyboard is to simulate the more complex CTRL-x running SO2R. Having another escape, some of the F1 to F12 functions, ALT-R and CTRL-B. Those last are the most reachable, nearest to the rest position of the hand.
It is positioned under the left hand.
The main keyboard itself is used for those elusive calls ... on 3 decoding windows it happened to have UT on one and EPP on another! The I type UT5EPP ;-> Or just pushing some ? with UT asking his call on air ... The main use of the keyboard is anyway the ESC key to stop single radio CQ, even when SO2Roaring The trackball is the other key that stay well positioned under the right hand, even when I leave it to type dual hands on the main kbd. I would not be able to use the standard mouse or a multifunction gamer mouse. Not easy for my coordination level to use the same fingers to do different things, my fault. After all also I don't like a mouse that move, lack of desk real estate, lack of blind finding ability gestures. More easy to have a steady trackball. I also moved one of these at work!

The whole thing is aimed to have short leg movements, maximize fingers commands, short retrieval time for the tools on the desk, well known macro names-positions and almost all the time my focus on the screen where action is. Leaving space to attentions to rotors, PAs and other things to be checked over time. In between those two items sets there are other logger windows, statistics, multipliers/cluster, bands maps. Those are all on the screen but are secondary to incoming data from the decoders. Timingly they becomes primary targets of my focus, when statistics numbers becomes low, when cluster/multipliers list blimp over a low rate. Also remember that all is split by two when attempting to do SO2R.

That's my short experience. I like operate the whole setup and I find myself working almost flawlessly even when fatigued after hours and hours of contesting. I am not a fast operator, but I like this game. Typing is not part of it if not just to enter elusive call signs or save my errors when 599 become 15. The PC keyboard is not for typing when RTTY Contesting, today, isn't?

          73 de iw1ayd Salvo

PS ... still in need of MMTTY as the primary window, that's for it automated unique logging capabilities of the incoming and outgoing text. I like to rewind and look at my errors, friends messages or whatever else was going on on the screen.