Re: [RTTY] RTTY Tx options - advice requested

To: "'Dave Hachadorian'" <k6ll.dave@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Tx options - advice requested
From: "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 09:45:28 -0800
You've outlined many of the problems with various RTTY TX options.

For me, 2Tone is unacceptable for TX and the primary RX, mainly due to the
2-3 character delay at the start of each.  This is a larger contesting issue
than the few times it decodes better than MMTTY or other decoders.

FSK is my personal choice for two reasons.  First, I don't trust myself to
keep the levels in the right range throughout the distractions of
contesting.  Second, low tones are a huge benefit over the course of a
contest and I won't risk possible harmonics from AFSK.  The K3 doesn't
magically solve the harmonic problem.  A local here used low tones with AFSK
and his K3 which wiped out a broad swath of the band with the harmonics.

Accordingly, I use MMTTY as the primary decoder and WriteLog's Rttyrite
Software Generated FSK for transmit.  Minimum bit jitter requires some
combination of a powerhouse PC and elimination of all other processing in
Windows.  My contesting PCs are not quad core, but a fast-enough dual core
in this limited application.  I dedicate each PC to a single radio and it
only runs the logger, nothing else.  Even in the few contests where I use
Packet (WPX RTTY and Ten-Meter RTTY), I run VE7CC on a separate PC that
feeds the logging PCs.

N1MM users don't have the Rttyrite FSK option.  But, MMTTY FSK is tolerable
despite its bit timing issues (another lengthy explanation).  I don't know
how much these MMTTY FSK issues affect copy on the receiving end.  Over a
decade of use by hundreds of MMTTY FSK contesters at least establishes that
it is "pretty good", if not ideal.

I think the best FSK option available today is the TinyFSK by K0SD:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~aflowers/tinyfsk/
Unfortunately, it only works with N1MM, otherwise I'd build a bunch of them
for use with WriteLog.  It is pretty easy to build but I don't know if you
can gather the parts and get it done by Saturday.

Another option would be to use the Hal DXP38 for FSK, but I don't know if
anyone has done this with N1MM yet.  If you don't want to use the DXP38 as
your primary decoder, you can just dedicate a DI window to FSK TX only and
have 2Tone or MMTTY as your primary decode DI window.  Or, perhaps some
other hardware TNC you may have available.

Ed W0YK