Re: [RTTY] Lids running RTTY on the JT65 Freq

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Lids running RTTY on the JT65 Freq
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 20:33:37 -0500

Always remember just because you hear someone QRMing another signal
does not always mean the QRMer is hearing him also. He may not be.

On the most basic level,  if I'm hearing him S9+20 he's hearing me and
still chooses to fire up on top of my JT9 QSO.  There is not 40 dB
difference between a "legal limit" RTTY signal into stacked monbanders
and 50 watts into a dipole.  The power difference is 15 dB and the
antenna gain cancels (path is reciprocal) ... if I hear him at S9+20,
he hears me at least at S9.  It's a simple case of many contesters not
giving a rip for any other mode already on the frequency ... and it
happened over and over during the weekend to many JT9/JT65 operators.

If RTTY contesters can't learn to voluntarily avoid the widely
published centers of activity for other modes, then contest sponsors
need to start requiring frequencies in the log and counting QSOs
between xx.070 and xx.080 at zero points.

73,

  ... Joe, W4TV