Re: [RTTY] Contest QRMing of other digimodes (ARRL BOD)

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Contest QRMing of other digimodes (ARRL BOD)
From: Steve <WB3LGC@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 20:39:26 -0500
I would like to see my two sons become more active Technicians in the HF bands.
Maybe more digital privileges might help.  I don't know.
Because I work with Radio merit badge with the scouts, I wonder what will it take to grab the interest of the kids (boys/girls) to get into ham radio. The kids are the future as us OF's become SK's and without the new blood, numbers will drop drastically in 20 years... There are some great "kids" active, but we need more. Will digital modes help? Newer modes like JTxx and DSP might get them interested in the software, too.

I do find when I demo RTTY to the kids, they are "wow, that's neat"...
The girl CREW (over 14 yo) wanted to "do" the CW course on CD... I don't remember how far they got, but they had fun! More hams NEED to share RADIO with the kids and JOTA (3rd weekend in October) is a great opportunity.

a thought, 73 steve WB3LGC