Re: [RTTY] RTTY Skimmer Server computer hardware needed to handle WPX wi

To: Jeff AC0C <keepwalking188@ac0c.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Skimmer Server computer hardware needed to handle WPX without throttling
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 06:44:13 -0500
Hi Jeff. For whatever it is worth, here's what I did this weekend. I'm running an AMD FX8350 (passmark 9000+) with 8 GB of RAM.

1.  turned off CW skimming for the weekend.
2. Set up low band and high band rotation at sunrise and sunset, running 4 bands at a time
3.  Limited coverage to 96 KHz
4. Tailored my RTTY segments, starting with the "Contest" default setting, to make sure I wasn't listening where the RTTY wasn't. The most important change was to define two RTTY segments for 40M, 7040-7050 and 7080-7120. I think I probably missed some Region 2 and 3 activity in the gap, but also got rid of a lot of that pesky CW stuff.

The best I was able to get was 440 decoders. All 8 cores were engaged at the same levels. Whenever the CPU usage would spike over 70 percent, throttling would occur. The number of decoders would drop fairly sharply (down to 350 or so), then rebound to at or near the critical level.

A preliminary look at the RBN traffic for the weekend suggests about a quarter of the CQWWCW daily totals(all modes). I made about 29,000 spots per day, and I don't hear very well - certainly as compared to WZ7I.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.