Re: [RTTY] GRITTY

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] GRITTY
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 09:41:01 -0400
I played around just a little with GRITTY as a third decoder in EA RTTY
contest weekend before last. (Running on an entirely different PC than my
usual 2Tone and MMTTY instances).

Watching it do its Bayesian magic and "back-correcting" sorta like CW
Skimmer is really cool.

The Bayesian smarts in it is really sore thumb obvious - it loves to look
at band noise and print out "599" and "DE" and "QRZ" and "CQ" (which of
course are exceedingly common in real contesting so of course a
straightforward Bayesian approach will see all of them.)

I tried to do something similar with Bayesian decoding last year, where I
built an auto-correlator that looked for several thousand common RTTY
contest callsigns culled from my RTTY contest logs. It of course ended up
printing out well-formed commonly heard callsigns when fed band noise :-).

I'm not sure I'm ready to add it to my "decoder lineup" yet but will be
trying it out some more.

Tim N3QE