Re: [RTTY] A couple of things

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] A couple of things
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 19:05:41 -0700

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 19:05:18 -0400, you wrote:

>This last weekend I participated in my first RTTY contest, the NAQP.  I
>immediately found that I need change my IC-765 over to FSK since it does not
>have the capability to switch in narrow filters in SSB.
>I'm looking at W3YY's interface that uses optical isolators driven from a
>serial port.  Any other possible solutions would be welcome.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jim - KR9U

REPLY:

In the MMTTY help files there is a circuit which does the same thing
and requires fewer parts. You do not need optical isolators, for
instance. Do be sure your transceiver and PC have a short, heavy
ground wire running between their chassis to avoid hum caused by a
ground loop. Of course, you should have that wire anyway regardless of
the interface.

I've been using that circuit for years with no problem.

73, Bill W6WRT