Re: [RTTY] ARRL Board Meeting - Approved modified HF band plan changes

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ARRL Board Meeting - Approved modified HF band plan changes
From: W0MU <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 18:23:08 -0600
I have seen those great systems all fail repeatedly in large wildfires where most of the arriving help had no way to communicate.

Maybe in a perfect world all those great systems work but in real life no way.

I thought we were looking for more people to contest and try other parts of the hobby. The elitism shown below is staggering.

On 2015-07-24 1:31 PM, W0MU wrote:
> Maybe we need to "Market" the fun of HF better to these new hams.

Maybe we don't need these Homeland Security wannabes and keystone
kops in their yellow vests any more than we need the free maritime
e-mail crowd.

The communications capabilities (and training) of the local PD, FD,
SO, State Police, etc. has already far eclipsed anything in ARES,
RACES, etc. while amateur data or CW links are no longer a serious
back-up for those services - certainly not like in the days where
State Police organizations maintained CW links between their posts
to pass bulletins (BOLO, wants/warrants, assistance requests, etc.)
county to county for relay to/from the local PD and county SO.

Red Cross, CAP, Coast Guard Auxiliary, FEMA, etc. all have their own
frequencies/equipment for emergency and daily operations.  None of
those agencies require an amateur license but I'm sure most of them
would be glad to train volunteers with a communications background
in their own operating procedures.  Still, none of that requires
access to amateur spectrum or amateur equipment any more that "blue
water" e-mail requires access to amateur frequencies/equipment in
this era of satellite and commercial HF e-mail services.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV