[RTTY] Contester preference - 1- versus 2-decimal-place spots

To: RTTY Contesting <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Contester preference - 1- versus 2-decimal-place spots
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 21:44:13 -0400
I'm doing some analysis of RTTY spots made by RBN nodes reporting 2 decimal place frequencies. Some of them I know to be using GPS disciplined oscillators, while others aren't. The GPSDO stations generally agree within 10 Hz, and are probably better than that because of rounding errors. The others are surprisingly good, almost always within the +/- 0.1 KHz we seek generally from RBN nodes.

My questions: Do assisted RTTY contesters like to get 2-decimal spots? Or are they so used to 1-decimal spots that they automatically joggle tuning to get on the proper mark and space frequencies?

And... are inaccurate 2-decimal spots (still within +/-1-decimal tolerance) worse than 1-decimal, or essentially the same from an operational perspective?

73, Pete N4ZR
Download the new N1MM Logger+ at
<http://N1MM.hamdocs.com>. Check
out the Reverse Beacon Network at